The Kiltie Band is a campus organization recognized by Student Senate and administered by the Office of Student Affairs. Academic credit is not available; the rewards are basically intrinsic.
The following tangible merits however have been established:
- An invitation to the Spring Banquet shall be issued to anyone who has completed one full semester in the band during the school year.
- A CMU letter jacket shall be earned at the conclusion of four complete semesters in the band.
A complete semester is credited to students who:
- Attend 70% of all scheduled rehearsals, and
- Attend 100% of performances unless specifically excused by Mr. Gerlach
Because this is an activity established primarily to provide students an
opportunity to participate in music as an alternative to the rigors and
pressure of their studies, attendance at rehearsals is somewhat lenient
(see above). If you are, due to illness or extreme academic demands,
unable to attend rehearsal, you have a 30% "cushion" to work with. One
hopes band members will not abuse this policy by just "blowing off" a
rehearsal. This in no way adds to the success of the band, rather just the
opposite. In order for a non-credit organization like ours to survive, we
need a strong and mature commitment from the members. Please remember that
the next time you decide not to attend. It shall be the policy of the band
that if you are unable to come to rehearsal, you post to the
bulletin board no later than 4:00pm that day.
You can also add the excuses bboard to your andrew webmail account by doing the following:
- Navigate to your andrew webmail
- Click on "Folders" on the top right tab.
- The right box indicates "Subscriptions". Scroll down and select "assocs.kiltie-band.excuses".
It's different than "assoc.kiltie-band-excuses" and "assoc.kiltie.band.excuses" (Sorry for the confusion).
- Click subscribe! Upon refreshing it should appear in the left hand bar of your webmail. You don't need to subscribe ; it's mostly just to see
which of your friends are going and to make sure your email got to the board.