Akif Burak Tosun
Pittsburgh, PA. 15213.
Birth Date and Place: February 10, 1984. Istanbul, Turkey.
Family Status: Married and father of one child.
Languages: Turkish (Native), English (Fluent)
2012 - Present Postdoctoral Research Scholar
This study is in the area of biomedical image analysis and includes the development of image segmentation and classification techniques for pathological images.
2006 - 2012 Research Assistant
Research work includes the development of novel image segmentation approaches for cancer diagnosis under the supervision of Dr. Gunduz-Demir at Bilkent University.
2007 - 2010 Project: Bio-computational Cancer Modeling and Intelligent Medical Decision-Making System Design for Objective Cancer Diagnosis and Grading
2011 – 2012 Project: Content-Based Retrieval of Histopathological Images using Relational Tissue Graphs
2006 – 2012 Teaching Assistant
Selected Courses :
CS201 - Fundamental Structures of Computer Science I
CS202 - Fundamental Structures of Computer Science II
CS464 - Introduction to Machine Learning
Medical Image Analysis, Digital Pathology, Computer Vision, Structural Pattern Recognition.
2006 - 2012 Ph.D., Computer Engineering
Bilkent University, Ankara, Turkey.
Advisor: Prof. Cigdem Gunduz-Demir
Thesis Title: Object-Oriented Texture Analysis and Unsupervised
Segmentation of Histopathological Images PDF
2002 - 2006 B.S., Computer Engineering
Hacettepe University, Ankara, Turkey.
1. Ahmet Cagri Simsek, Akif Burak Tosun, Cevdet Aykanat, Cenk Sokmensuer, and Cigdem Gunduz-Demir, "Multilevel segmentation of histopathological images using cooccurrence of tissue objects," IEEE Transactions on Biomedical Engineering, vol. 59, no. 6, pp. 1681-1690, June 2012. PDF
2. Akif Burak Tosun, Cigdem Gunduz-Demir, "Graph Run-Length Matrices for Histopathological Image Segmentation," IEEE Transactions on Medical Imaging, vol. 30, no. 3, pp. 721-732, March 2011. PDF
3. Cigdem Gunduz-Demir, Melih Kandemir, Akif Burak Tosun, Cenk Sokmensuer, "Automatic segmentation of colon glands using object-graphs," Medical Image Analysis, vol. 14, no. 1, pp. 1-12, February 2010. PDF
4. Akif Burak Tosun, Melih Kandemir, Cenk Sokmensuer, Cigdem Gunduz-Demir, "Object-oriented texture analysis for the unsupervised segmentation of biopsy images for cancer detection", Pattern Recognition, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1104-1112, June 2009. PDF
1. Akif Burak Tosun, Cenk Sokmensuer, and Cigdem Gunduz-Demir, "Unsupervised tissue image segmentation through object-oriented texture," 20th International Conference on Pattern Recognition (ICPR 2010), Istanbul, Turkey, August 2010. PDF
2. Onur Kucuktunc, Sare Gul Sevil, Akif Burak Tosun, Hilal Zitouni, Pinar Duygulu, Fazli Can, "Tag Suggestr: Automatic Photo Tag Expansion using Visual Information for Photo Sharing Websites," 3rd International Conference on Semantic and Digital Media Technologies (SAMT 2008), Koblenz, Germany, December 3-5, 2008. Lecture Notes In Computer Science, vol. 5392. PDF
1. “Multilevel Segmentation of Histopathological Images using Cooccurrence of Tissue Objects: Supplementary Material”, Technical Report, Bilkent University, Department of Computer Science, BU-CE-1202, March 2012. PDF
"Graph Run-Length Matrices for Histopathological Image Segmentation”
" Object-oriented texture analysis for the unsupervised segmentation of biopsy images for cancer detection”
HONORS AND GRANTS
- Full scholarship and housing during Ph.D. from Dept. of Computer Engineering, Bilkent University.
- Ph.D. research fellowship from TUBITAK - Scientific and Technological Research Council of Turkey.
- Scientific Travel Grant for ICPR2010 from Dept. of Computer Engineering, Bilkent University.