Graduate Research Visitors
The Carnegie Mellon Philosophy Department enjoys an unusual
concentration in Formal Epistemology, covering the areas of:
- Foundations of statistics
- Formal methods in cognitive science
- Game theory
- Evolutionary game theory
- Causal discovery
- Formal learning theory
- Foundations of computability
- Proof search
We encourage scholars pursuing relevant Ph.D. degrees to share our
research environment for a few weeks or for a term. Graduate
Research Visitors may sit in on Philosophy department seminars as part
of their research experience and are invited to pursue their research
with relevant faculty. Please note that U.S. visa requirements
strictly prohibit attending courses for credit during your stay and
- office space (on the upper floor
of Doherty Hall, depicted above in the web page masthead),
- campus internet and library access, including online
- access to seminars and talks,
- assistance in locating housing (inexpensive in Pittsburgh),
- assistance with relevant visa appliations,
- office support
There is no deadline for submission of
applications for Visiting Fellowships. However, Center Officers will
begin review on March 1
applications received for terms in the following year (September to
April) and will notify applicants by April 15.
The Center will continue to accept applications for
the coming year after December 15, provided that space remains.
Interested applicants are encouraged to inquire.
- A cover letter that indicates a Visiting
Fellowship is sought and describes: the period of proposed residence at
the Center; the source and amount of likely funding for your stay, and
an estimate of travel costs.
- A description of the project to be undertaken
during residence (500-1000 words).
- A curriculum vitae.
- A sample of (or internet link to) your written
- Letters of reference from two or three
this information or any inquiries to us at:
e-mail: Kevin T. Kelly, Director
Kevin T. Kelly, Director
Center for Formal Epistemology
Department of Philosophy
Carnegie Mellon Universitiy
5000 Forbes Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15213